Thursday, October 9, 2008

Getting It Done In Reverse: The Backwards Planning System

It occurs to me that in order for me to actually achieve the things on my list, I should actually have some kind of plan.  I have to admit that I've been just sorta picking and choosing what to do... going hither and yon just assuming that everything will fall into place.

It doesn't always (if ever) work that way folks.

I'm a firm believer... no a firm knower that the law of attraction works in peoples lives.  But I also know that when using it to get the things that you want, if you don't start it, you ain't gonna git it.

In other words... you have to have a plan... in order for the universe to bring you what you want you have to walk towards what you want.  Sitting on yer butt ain't gonna do any help.

Sorry.  That seems a little metaphysical I know so I'll lay off of that for now.

But the plan thing still sticks.  You must know where you're going in order to get there.  Dang, I'm just full of cliches today.

One of the tools I use for planning is Mark Joyner's Simpleology.  It's this free online system I use to make plans towards my goals or targets.  One of my favorite parts of it is the backwards planning system.  It goes a lil something like this:

First I write down the target...

Target: I want to be debt free

Then I ask myself "What did I do to get to this place?" or something similar.

What I did to get here: Made my final payment to creditors

And so on.  You get the point.

Here's a look at my backward planning list for the Eliminating Debt target:

  1. I am debt free
  2. Made final payment to creditors
  3. Continue making payments to creditors
  4. Begin making payments to creditors (repitition anyone?)
  5. Make arrangements with credit consolidation firm
  6. Research credit consolidation firms

Looking at it this way, it's a lot simpler than I've made it out to be.

I like Simpleology because I'm a step by step kinda guy.  Sometimes I need someone to tell me how to do things and that kind of system seems to fit the bill.  Some of the steps might need some steps to achieve themselves and if that's the case I simply plug it into the backward planning system.  Easy as toast.

So that's it.  That's what I do in order to keep my focused and laser targeted on working my list.  If you have any other ideas I sure would like to hear them.  Leave a comment wont'cha?

1 comment:

techniqueal t. said...

this is one enlightening entry! planning is one of my achilles' heel as the list i tend to set up almost always end up not being followed. i havent tried backward planning though. it just might work for me! ^_^ iL also check the simpleology out.

i appreciate the add up in your blogroll! ^_^ i've added yours in the personal blog section (LINKY LOVE) of my sidebar. you have a unique way of writing that i find admirable. keep blogging!